WELCOME TO MY ROOM!

Come in and sit a spell! Yes, pull up a pillow and your computer, grab your favorite bag of chips, a thing of chocolate and sit down to look at what is being talked about. Some young ladies struggle to discuss things that are important to them, or near to their hearts. Perhaps it is just needing some advice (and guess what, if you have the question I promise that there are other "Little Sister's" just like you wondering the SAME EXACT THING!) We will discuss dating, friends, should-I or should-I-not's, current events, what-should-I-do's, gospel questions, and much more! I am LDS, and therefore you are going to sometimes get a matter-of-fact answer, and other times a more spiritual, gospel-centered one...either way, I hope with all my heart that I can be there for each of my "Little Sister's" from all over the world. xo Your Big Sis Dani

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gracias Por...

While serving at the MTC and preparing to head out on my mission I was blessed to room with two Hermana's (Sister's who are going Spanish speaking areas). Since they had to learn an entirely different language in only a few weeks time the used their Spanish every chance they had. So, at night when we had "Room Prayers" theirs were always in Spanish. Their Spanish was still limited of course, but the one thing I remember very clearly was "Gracias por..." and fill in the blanks! This of course is "Thank you for...." I thought it interesting that what they were taught to say first, was how to talk to the Lord about how grateful they were. I loved that. It was beautiful to hear (and incidentally, one of the few parts of the prayer that I actually understood). Less than six months later, I found myself celebrating my only Thanksgiving while on my mission that had me equally grateful. I was in a "threesome" with a beautiful sister from New Orleans, and another one from Tahiti (we were the Oreo Cookie Gang!) and we were blessed to be serving in the BYU Asian Ward that month. We were invited to share that Thanksgiving with other students, students that could not afford to fly home for the weekend holiday (Japan and Korea aren't exactly a quick car ride home). Of course, we fit right in!! There was no turkey that year. No stuffing, mash potatoes, gravey or pie. Instead what there was was this amazing feeling of the Spirit, and an understanding of what that first Thanksgiving must have looked like. People who were different, but who all believed in the common power of the love, and a God who loved them and were merciful. No prejudices. No strange feeling of awkwardness. Instead we had the biggest pot of rice and curry that you have ever layed eyes on, along side sushi, and a million other dishes who's names I cannot even pronounce anymore. We had this bond of a testimony of Jesus Christ, being far from home and people we loved, trying new things, excited about meeting new people and making new friends, and of course or love of spicy things! As you sit down this Thanksgiving, take from my story what you will and apply it to what you may. Take a moment to talk with those who are elderly, to wrap your arms around them for just a moment. Find the closest, chubby baby and love and tickel on them. Grab your mother or father and tell them how much you love them, even if you just had a fight. My step-father passed away nearly 12 years ago now. My mother is visiting my sister in Mesa. My adopted sister is having dinner with her extended family, and all of our extended family is back in Omaha. What I wouldn't give for the moment you will have tomorrow. To love on someone just one more time. To hear a baby life because of you is the sweetest sound in the world. To be able to tell your mom or dad that you love them, because they are simply here...these are all gifts Little Sister's. Be grateful for them. And if you cannot find any other reason...be grateful that you don't have to make the turkey until you grow up and have a home of your own. :) Happy Thanksgiving! I am grateful for you! xo Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment